Zippy Seafood Stew Recipe
- 3 to 4 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 pound sea scallops
- 1. In a Dutch oven or large kettle, saute the leeks, jalapeno and garlic in oil until tender. Add the tomato puree, water, broth and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- 2. Add shrimp and scallops; simmer 5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink and scallops are opaque. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 192 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 740mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Zippy Seafood Stew
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.