Zippy Seafood Stew
Garden-fresh leeks and peppers add punch to this deliciously spiced stew. The flavors blend together well, showcasing the shrimp and scallops. I'd have to say this is one of my favorites.—Paul Noetzel, Grafton, Wisconsin
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 to 4 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 pound sea scallops
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle, saute the leeks, jalapeno and garlic
- in oil until tender. Add the tomato puree, water, broth and
- seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for
- 10-15 minutes.
- Add shrimp and scallops; simmer 5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn
- pink and scallops are opaque. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 140 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 571 mg sodium,