Garden-fresh leeks and peppers add punch to this deliciously spiced stew. The flavors blend together well, showcasing the shrimp and scallops. I'd have to say this is one of my favorites.—Paul Noetzel, Grafton, Wisconsin
- 3 to 4 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups tomato puree
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3/4 pound sea scallops
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle, saute the leeks, jalapeno and garlic in oil until tender. Add the tomato puree, water, broth and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Add shrimp and scallops; simmer 5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink and scallops are opaque. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Zippy Seafood Stew in Taste of Home December/January 2001, p53
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Zippy Seafood Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review