"If I need a quick side dish that has flair and flavor, I whip this tasty pilaf in a jiffy on the stovetop," says Elizabeth Perez of Flower Mound, Texas. "The jalapeno pepper, herbs and spices season the rice nicely. It's one of those side dishes that goes well with anything."
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- In a saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Add the rice and jalapenos; toss to coat. Stir in the broth, cumin and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Add cilantro. Fluff with a fork; serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Zippy Rice Pilaf in Light & Tasty June/July 2003, p20
Reviews for Zippy Rice Pilaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review