Zippy Potato Soup
This savory soup has a lot of substance, especially for the men in the family. We enjoy brimming bowls all winter long.
—Clara Lee Parsons, Terre Haute, Indiana
14 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 3/4 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 to 10 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 5 cups water
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion; drain and set aside. In a
- soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook the potatoes and carrot in water for
- 20 minutes or until tender (do not drain). Stir in the remaining
- ingredients and the bacon mixture. Cook for 10 minutes or until
- heated through. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 170 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 222 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.