When I was asked to teach an advanced 4-H foods class, I included this recipe. The kids loved it and have been making it for their families ever since.—Glenda Schwartz, Morden, Manitoba
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup crushed cornflakes
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Add cottage, mozzarella and cheddar cheeses; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine cornstarch and milk until smooth. Stir in onion, green pepper, mustard, salt and pepper flakes. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over macaroni mixture; gently stir to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Combine cornflakes and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and the top is golden brown. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Zippy Macaroni and Cheese in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p209
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Zippy Macaroni and Cheese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review