Zippy Cream of Asparagus Soup
"My best friend and I enjoy this smooth soup so much we knew we had to share it," explains Hilda Magnuson of Whittier, California. "Pepper gives it zip."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 ounces fat-free cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic
- until tender. Add the asparagus, broth and red pepper flakes. Bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until
- asparagus is tender.
- Place a third of the mixture in a blender; add cream cheese, sour
- cream and dill. Cover and process until smooth; return to pan. Cook
- over medium heat until heated through. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Yield:
- 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving equals 91 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 192 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch,