- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 ounces fat-free cream cheese, cubed
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic until tender. Add the asparagus, broth and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until asparagus is tender.
- Place a third of the mixture in a blender; add cream cheese, sour cream and dill. Cover and process until smooth; return to pan. Cook over medium heat until heated through. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cream of Asparagus Soup in Taste of Home April/May 2000, p17
Reviews for Zippy Cream of Asparagus Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 21, 2012
"I have been making this recipe for years. It's so good and very easy to make."
Reviewed May. 2, 2009
"Excellent! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I am going to freeze my asparagus from the garden and give this a try that way too. Jodi"