Zippy Cranberry Appetizer Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 to 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- Assorted crackers
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring sugars and water to a boil over medium heat. Stir in cranberries; return to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- 2. Stir in horseradish and mustard. Transfer to a large bowl; refrigerate until chilled. Just before serving, spread cream cheese over crackers; top with cranberry mixture. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.
1/4 cup: 178 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 114mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Zippy Cranberry Appetizer
"Do you think you could can this? Put it in a hot water bath?"
"This was a great appetizer for Thanksgiving. I put the block of cream cheese on a serving plate and poured the sauce over. People could spread it on the crackers themselves. I also doubled the cranberries, sugars and water. I used half for this appetizer and the other half as cranberry sauce with our turkey ."
"Great with the cream cheese, but try as a condiment to turkey, chicken, or pork! Oh my goodness! Could be used as sort of a 'barbeque' sauce."
"I made this around Thanksgiving and it disappeared. I made it with only a tablespoon of horseradish the first time, extra hot, but when I made it the second time I used 2, and the flavor was amazing. Just the right balance of sweet and spice Love it!!!!"
"I made this around Thanksgiving and it disappeared. I made it with only a teaspoon of horseradish the first time, extra hot, but when I made it the second time I used 2, and the flavor was amazing. Just the right balance of sweet and spice Love it!!!!"
"We LOVED this! Our s.i.l. who had never had anything like this and doesn't cook, took this recipe with him to make at home.Yummers! Thanks for the recipe!"
"This is one of my favorite appetizers and I make it all the time!"
"Very easy to put together. My husband loved it...I only liked it a little bit. The cranberry sauce was too overpowering for me. I was expecting all the flavors to blend better together. Maybe less cranberries."
" Instead of horseradish, a co-worker of mine uses a small amount of finely chopped jalapeños. Depending on how much "kick" you want, I suggest starting with one, then add more to taste. You may also want to remove the seeds since they are what gives the pepper its heat."
"This sounds wonderful, except for I don't care for horseradish. Can someone suggest an alternative?"