"This thick colorful chowder was so well received the first time I made it that some of us had to go without seconds," notes Kera Bredin of Vancouver, British Columbia. "Now I make this hearty soup often."
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 large red potatoes, cubed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Stir in jalapeno, mustard, salt, paprika and red pepper flakes. Add corn, green onions and 2-1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil.
- Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually add to soup. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Zippy Corn Chowder in Quick Cooking May/June 2000, p21
Reviews for Zippy Corn Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review