- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 large red potatoes, cubed
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Stir in jalapeno, mustard, salt, paprika and red pepper flakes. Add corn, green onions and 2-1/2 cups milk. Bring to a boil.
- Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually add to soup. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Zippy Corn Chowder
"One of our favorites. Quick go to recipe with a little kick. I've added left over cooked chicken to make it a full meal."
"One of my all-time favorites and I've made it countless times since it was published in Quick Cooking in 2000!"
"Delicious. I made several modifications: I left out the flour and instead mashed up the potatoes after boiling to thicken the soup slightly. I also added 1 lb chopped chicken breast that I had sauteed in a pan with olive oil to make it a bit heartier. YUM!"