Zippy Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Autumn has always been my favorite time of year and the combination of butternut squash and apples reminds me of autumn. The spicy chipotle peppers adds some heat and zip. Using two chipotle peppers will make a spicy soup. If you prefer less heat, add only one pepper or no peppers at all.—Andrea Gilkenson, Wausau, Wisconsin
- 1 medium butternut squash (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup unsweetened apple cider or juice
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a Dutch oven, saute the squash, carrots, onion and celery in butter for 5 minutes. Add apples and garlic; cook 3 minutes longer. Stir in the broth, apple cider, chipotle pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Cool slightly. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Stir in sour cream (do not boil). Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3 2012, p60
Reviews for Zippy Chipotle Butternut Squash Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review