Cayenne pepper gives a little zip to this creamy chicken bake. It's one of my most-requested dishes for potluck dinners and other get-togethers. I sometimes use spinach noodles in place of the egg noodles.—Cheryl Davidson, Fulshear, Texas
Featured In: Top 10 Dinner Recipes Under 500 Calories
- 5 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 jar (4 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
- 3 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the sour cream, mushrooms, pimientos and seasonings. Drain pasta.
- In a greased 3-qt. baking dish, layer half of the noodles, chicken and sauce. Repeat layers. Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Noodle Casserole in Quick Cooking January/February 2004
Reviews for Zippy Chicken Noodle Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 2, 2010
"I thought this was very good, but nothing extraordinary. I put in the larger amount of pepper and cayenne pepper..first bite I thought a little too spicy, but not too bad after a couple of bites. My 17 month old ate it up!"