Zippy Chicken Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup each chopped onion, celery and carrot
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, onion, celery and carrot in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add the broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 2. Stir in the cream, chicken, parsley, lemon juice and salt; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Reviews for Zippy Chicken Mushroom Soup
"This recipe is one of our family favorites."
"Followed recipe exactly & it is delicious! Made it for my in-laws & my father in-law wanted the recipe! Next time I won't dice the mushrooms, celery & carrots -- I like my soups chunkier. Definitely recommend!"
"This was delicious. I made a few adjustments... I didn't have cream so I used half and half instead and I only used 1.5 cups of it... Just to reduce calories. I also only had black pepper and only used 1/2 teaspoon. I also added 1 tblsp garlic while sautéing the veggies.. Turned out fab!"
"After reading all of the glowing reviews, I decided this would be the perfect soup to make for a cold rainy night--WRONG! It was so bad there was only one thing I could do with it and that's throw it down the disposer. Perhaps it was the amount of pepper. I thought the addition of black and white pepper was a bit much so I only added half the amount of white pepper and used just a few dashes of hot pepper sauce. When I tasted the soup, it tasted like milky pepper soup. Tried adding a few ingredients to give it more flavor but to no avail. Save your money and time and find another recipe!"
"This is by far one of the best soups I have ever eaten. Creamy goodness! I will definately fix this soup often."
"Wonderful fresh and tastes even better the second day."
"At our diner; our customers ask for this soup repeatedly"
"I made this the other night and it was wonderful. I left out the tarragon as I did not have it but used sweet basil instead. I also added steamed asparagus and it was a huge hit.Dana L. Ramsey of Northumberland, PA"