Zippy Chicken Mushroom Soup
My sister-in-law telephoned me looking for a good cream of mushroom soup recipe. I gave her this hearty one. It gets its boost from a splash of hot pepper sauce. —Julia Thornely, Layton, Utah
11 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup each chopped onion, celery and carrot
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pinch dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, onion, celery and carrot in
- butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add the
- broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cream, chicken, parsley, lemon juice and salt; heat
- through (do not boil). Yield: 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).