In this full-bodied chowder, corn is complemented by a zesty pepper flavor that you can adjust to suit your family's palate. Serve it with warm rolls and a salad for a completely satisfying meal of a chilly winter day.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 medium leeks, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 4 cups frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute chicken in 2 tablespoons butter until lightly browned and until no longer pink; Remove from pan, set aside and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute red pepper in remaining butter until tender. Add the leeks; cook for 1 minute. Stir in the flour and paprika until blended. Gradually stir in the broth. Add the potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes until thickened and potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the corn, Worcestershire sauce, salt, hot pepper sauce and reserved chicken; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until corn is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in cream and heat through (do not boil). Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Zippy Chicken Corn Chowder in Country Woman November/December 2003, p33
Reviews for Zippy Chicken Corn Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 20, 2015
"My daughters asked me to make a chicken corn chowder and this was great! And easy to make!"