In this full-bodied chowder, corn is complemented by a zesty pepper flavor that you can adjust to suit your family's palate. Serve it with warm rolls and a salad for a completely satisfying meal of a chilly winter day.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 medium leeks, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 4 cups frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute chicken in 2 tablespoons butter until lightly browned and until no longer pink; Remove from pan, set aside and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute red pepper in remaining butter until tender. Add the leeks; cook for 1 minute. Stir in the flour and paprika until blended. Gradually stir in the broth. Add the potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes until thickened and potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the corn, Worcestershire sauce, salt, hot pepper sauce and reserved chicken; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cook, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until corn is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in cream and heat through (do not boil). Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Zippy Chicken Corn Chowder in Country Woman November/December 2003, p33
Reviews for Zippy Chicken Corn Chowder
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 20, 2015
"My daughters asked me to make a chicken corn chowder and this was great! And easy to make!"