Zippy Chicken Chili Recipe
- 4-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup each chopped green, yellow and sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a 3-qt. saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Reduce heat; add beans, peppers, onion and seasonings. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Add chicken; simmer for 30 minutes. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup: 183 calories, 2g fat (0g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 68mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 17g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 lean meat, 1 vegetable
Reviews for Zippy Chicken Chili
"There was no photo and going by the name of chili I expected this to be a chili consistency. It was a soup. It should be called chicken chili soup. Its a little spicy and i went with the smaller amounts of all ingredients. not bad but not what i was expecting."
"With modifidied changes I will make this recipe again. The ingredients are what caught my eye. I doubled the recipe, including the red pepper flakes (don't unless you enjoy hot & spicy). Flavor with the extra peppers is still a bit too bland, so I added 1-2 cans diced tomatoes and possibly some picante sauce (maybe to tone down the red pepper flakes)."
"This chili recipe is soooo good, and healthy I don't think I will ever make regular chili again. I made it for a baby shower, doubling the batch, (although I cooked mine in a slow cooker for about 5 hours). It was gobbled up so fast and as they were eating it made comments about how good it was and everyone requested the recipe. Very quick to make. I served mine with quiche. I did not put the crushed red pepper in ... I thought it tasted perfect without it."