Zippy Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked spaghetti, optional
- 1. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, brown chicken in 1 tablespoon oil. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the green pepper, mushrooms and garlic in remaining oil until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Add the tomato puree, stewed tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, remaining salt and reserved chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 3. Stir in parsley. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened. Serve over spaghetti if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1 chicken breast half with 1/2 cup sauce, calculated without spaghetti) equals 248 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 857 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 vegetable.
Reviews for Zippy Chicken Cacciatore
"One of mine & my husbands favorites! The chicken gets so tender and the sauce is amazing!"
"This was good. Used some roasted chopped chicken instead of chicken breast cause I had it. Added diced onion."
"This was very tasty. I used the pop out frozen garlic that Michelle showed us at the cooking school. Great recipe. Will make again. Yum Yum!"
"Kids & husband loved this!"
"Absolutely amazing, my children ate this and praised me,( they actually even ate the tomatos)I really enjoyed this version of Cacciatore, great meal!"
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.