- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked spaghetti, optional
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, brown chicken in 1 tablespoon oil. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the green pepper, mushrooms and garlic in remaining oil until vegetables are tender.
- Add the tomato puree, stewed tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, remaining salt and reserved chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in parsley. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until sauce is thickened. Serve over spaghetti if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Zippy Chicken Cacciatore
"This dish received rave reviews from my family!! My picky eater even declared she liked mushrooms after all. :~) We will be making this easy entree again. Thanks for the recipe."
"One of mine & my husbands favorites! The chicken gets so tender and the sauce is amazing!"
"This was very tasty. I used the pop out frozen garlic that Michelle showed us at the cooking school. Great recipe. Will make again. Yum Yum!"
"Kids & husband loved this!"
"Absolutely amazing, my children ate this and praised me,( they actually even ate the tomatos)I really enjoyed this version of Cacciatore, great meal!"