"I made up this recipe one night when I decided to have cauliflower with our supper," recalls Shawntel Wiederholt of Layton, Utah. "I used my mother-in-law's basic cheese sauce, add the spices,t hen stirred in some salsa left over from tacos the night before. It ended up being delightful."
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken intoflorets (about 7-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- Place cauliflower and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour and seasonings until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cheese and salsa until cheese is melted. Drain cauliflower well; drizzle with cheese sauce. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Zippy Cauliflower in Quick Cooking May/June 2005, p47
Reviews for Zippy Cauliflower
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 8, 2011
"This sauce tasted delicious but was way too thick. I used about 1 1/4 cups of milk and it was still thick. I wonder if there is an error in the amounts."