Our Test Kitchen concocted this easy recipe, enhancing lean ground beef with onion powder, chili powder and red pepper flakes. These satisfying burgers are sure to sizzle in any summer meal.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup beer or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Crumble beef
- over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and
- lightly coat the grill rack. Grill hamburgers, covered, over medium
- heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or
- until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear. Serve
- on buns.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 each) equals 314 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 557 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.