Zippy Beans and Rice Recipe
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 cup uncooked instant white or brown rice
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1. In a large skillet, combine the beans, tomatoes, corn, water, jalapeno and salt if desired. Bring to a boil; stir in rice. Cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with onion. Yield: 6 servings.
One 3/4 cup serving (prepared with brown rice and without salt) equals 197 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 414 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 8 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.