Zippy Beans and Rice Recipe
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 cup uncooked instant white or brown rice
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1. In a large skillet, combine the beans, tomatoes, corn, water, jalapeno and salt if desired. Bring to a boil over high heat; stir in rice. Cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with onion. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup: 197 calories, 2g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 414mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 8g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 0 fat.
Reviews for Zippy Beans and Rice
"It doesn't get any easier than this. We are trying to eat healthier and this is a great and filling side dish. Even my 6 and 4 year olds ate it as well as the hubby. I used instant brown rice and left out the jalepeno. Also drained a can of corn and added that instead since I didn't have frozen."
"This is an EXCELLENT side to any spanish dish! The whole family loves it, plus it is sooo easy to make!"
"Cheap, easy, and doesn't taste too bad either! We had no green onions so didn't put any on top. Also quite healthy if you use brown rice.~ Theresa"