Zippy Barbecued Beef Brisket Recipe
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon each salt, garlic salt and onion salt
- 1 fresh beef brisket (about 5 pounds)
- 1. For barbecue sauce, in a large saucepan, combine the first 13 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Strain sauce, discarding bay leaves and vegetable pulp; set aside.
- 2. For marinade, in a large resealable plastic bag, combine the Liquid Smoke if desired, teriyaki sauce, celery seed, pepper, salts and 1 cup reserved barbecue sauce. Add the brisket. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining barbecue sauce.
- 3. Drain and discard marinade. Place brisket on a large sheet of heavy-duty foil; seal tightly. Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 3-4 hours or until meat is tender.
- 4. Remove brisket to a serving platter; let stand for 15 minutes. Reheat reserved sauce. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Serve with sauce. Yield: 10 servings.
ounces cooked meat with 1-1/2 tablespoons sauce equals 341 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 99 mg cholesterol, 1,144 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 42 g protein.
Reviews for Zippy Barbecued Beef Brisket
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.