Zippy Barbecued Beef Brisket Recipe
This is an authentic Texas dish from a good friend. The tangy sauce not only helps tenderize the meat but also provides fantastic flavor.Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke, optional
- 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon each salt, garlic salt and onion salt
- 1 fresh beef brisket (about 5 pounds)
- For barbecue sauce, in a large saucepan, combine the first 13 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Strain sauce, discarding bay leaves and vegetable pulp; set aside.
- For marinade, in a large resealable plastic bag, combine the Liquid Smoke if desired, teriyaki sauce, celery seed, pepper, salts and 1 cup reserved barbecue sauce. Add the brisket. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight, turning occasionally. Cover and refrigerate remaining barbecue sauce.
- Drain and discard marinade. Place brisket on a large sheet of heavy-duty foil; seal tightly. Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 3-4 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove brisket to a serving platter; let stand for 15 minutes. Reheat reserved sauce. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Serve with sauce. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Zippy Barbecued Beef Brisket in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p91
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Zippy Barbecued Beef Brisket(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Brisket Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Make Ahead Dinner Recipes >
- Make-Ahead Recipes >