Zippy Baked Potato Soup Recipe
- 1 large potato
- 1 bacon strip, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 6 to 8 drops hot pepper sauce, optional
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. Scrub and pierce potato. Microwave on high for 4-6 minutes or bake at 400° for 50-75 minutes or until tender, turning once. When cool enough to handle, peel and cube potato; set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towel.
- 3. In the drippings, saute onion and garlic until tender. Stir in the flour, basil and pepper until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 4. Add the cream, cubed potato and hot pepper sauce if desired; heat through (do not boil). Top each serving with bacon, cheese and parsley. Yield: 2 servings.
1 cup (prepared with reduced-sodium broth and reduced-fat cheese) equals 369 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 638 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 11 g protein.