- 1 large potato
- 1 bacon strip, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 6 to 8 drops hot pepper sauce, optional
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- Scrub and pierce potato. Microwave on high for 4-6 minutes or bake at 400° for 50-75 minutes or until tender, turning once. When cool enough to handle, peel and cube potato; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towel.
- In the drippings, saute onion and garlic until tender. Stir in the flour, basil and pepper until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the cream, cubed potato and hot pepper sauce if desired; heat through (do not boil). Top each serving with bacon, cheese and parsley. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Baked Potato Soup in Cooking for 2 Spring 2008, p25
Reviews for Zippy Baked Potato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 30, 2010
I used fat free half and half. It probably was a little thinner that it should be, maybe I'll use a little more flour next time to thicken it up, but it was very good!
Reviewed Jan. 26, 2010
I love it.
Reviewed Jul. 16, 2009
Could you substitute skim milk for the cream?
More Recipe Collections
- Bacon Recipes >
- Baked Potato Soup >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Magazine >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Potato Recipes >