Now you can have all the goodness of crunchy, sweet-sour pickles without going to the trouble of canning them. A batch of these puckery slices can keep in the freezer for up to 6 weeks—but they never last that long at my house!
- 10 to 12 medium pickling cucumbers (about 2 pounds), thinly sliced
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons salt, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- In a large container, combine the cucumbers, onions, green pepper and 2 tablespoons salt. Cover with crushed ice and mix well. Refrigerate for 8 hours. Drain; rinse and drain again.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, celery seed and remaining salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Spoon over cucumber mixture. Pour into jars or Ziploc® Fresh Shield® Twist ‘n Loc® Containers. Cool.
- Top with lids. Cover and freeze for up to 6 weeks. Thaw at room temperature for 4 hours before serving. Yield: 4 pints.
Originally published as Sweet 'N' Tangy Freezer Pickles in Taste of Home Cooking School Collection Spring 2010, p38
Reviews for Ziploc Sweet 'N' Tangy Freezer Pickles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review