Zinfandel Strawberry Trifle Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups Zinfandel wine or grape juice
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 loaves (10-3/4 ounces each) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Additional fresh strawberries
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine wine and 1/3 cup sugar. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup. Set saucepan in ice water and stir the mixture for 3 minutes. Stir in strawberries and vanilla.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut one cake in half widthwise (save the other half for another use). Cube remaining cake; set aside.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining sugar; beat until soft peaks form.
- 4. In a 3-qt. trifle bowl or glass serving bowl, layer a third of the cake cubes, strawberry mixture and whipped topping. Repeat twice. Chill until serving. Garnish with additional strawberries. Yield: 15 servings.
1 cup equals 326 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 176 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.