- 1-1/2 cups Zinfandel wine or grape juice
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 loaves (10-3/4 ounces each) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Additional fresh strawberries
- In a large saucepan, combine wine and 1/3 cup sugar. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to about 1/2 cup. Set saucepan in ice water and stir the mixture for 3 minutes. Stir in strawberries and vanilla.
- Meanwhile, cut one cake in half widthwise (save the other half for another use). Cube remaining cake; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining sugar; beat until soft peaks form.
- In a 3-qt. trifle bowl or glass serving bowl, layer a third of the cake cubes, strawberry mixture and whipped topping. Repeat twice. Chill until serving. Garnish with additional strawberries.
- Yield: 15 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Zinfandel Strawberry Trifle
"What can I say? People loved it. There was no left overs. I ran out of whipped cream and had to run to the store and buy more. So, if you follow the recipe, you might want to do extra whipped cream just to be sure you don't run out of it while you are putting together the Trifle.Also, prepare it the same day you are going to use it, not the day before. I don't think this is a dessert you can prepare ahead of time"
"This is absolutely delicious. It was a big hit on father's day.One helping is just not enough. The only thing I did different was added 1 extra quart of sliced strawberrie."