- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and chocolate. Combine flour and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Wrap dough in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Chill and reroll scraps if desired.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks. Yield: about 5 dozen.
1 each: 84 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 24mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 0 fat.
Reviews for Zimtsterne
"Ok, when I initially read the recipe I thought, 1/3 cup cinnamon was way to much, however, having made these, I must say, they are delicious and 1/3 cup cinnamon is perfect! After mixing the cinnamon with the flour, begin incorporating into the creamed mixture, the smell is delightful and I know these cookies are going to be great! Ok, I have baked these cookies and they are wonderful, slightly sweet, can barely taste the cinnamon, will make these a Christmas yearly cookie! I dusted them with powered sugar. Note, do not bake over 11 minutes or they are hard, if you bake set exactly 11 minutes, they are soft and yummy!"
"People have asked if the 1/3 cup cinnamon is correct - it simply can't be. Other variations of zimtsterne call for 1-2 teaspoons. If you follow this recipe as-is, the results are pretty dreadful (no matter how much you might like cinnamon, that's just too much)."
"First of all traditional Zimtsterne does not have chocolate in it. I should know I was born and raised in Germany. I would try finding a traditional recipe online."
"Can anyone please verify that the 1/3 cup of cinnamon is correct?"
"is the 1/3 cup cinnamon correct?"
"Perfect Chocolate Cinnamon flavor!"