Zesty Winter Vegetables
This quintessential English side dish adds a little zip to the meal. Its creamy horseradish sauce is sure to keep “bah humbugs” at bay. —Lisa Leaper-Shuck, Worthington, Ohio
9 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 1-1/4 pounds pearl onions
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh brussels sprouts
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large saucepan, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add onions; boil
- for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel.
- Meanwhile, cut brussels sprouts in half. In a large skillet, bring
- 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add brussels sprouts; cover and cook for
- 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. In a small bowl, combine
- the flour, allspice, cream and horseradish.
- In the same skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add the
- vegetables, cream mixture and thyme. Cook and stir until cream
- mixture is thickened and vegetables are tender. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 206 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 89 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.