This quintessential English side dish adds a little zip to the meal. Its creamy horseradish sauce is sure to keep “bah humbugs” at bay. —Lisa Leaper-Shuck, Worthington, Ohio
- 1-1/4 pounds pearl onions
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh brussels sprouts
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large saucepan, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel.
- Meanwhile, cut brussels sprouts in half. In a large skillet, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add brussels sprouts; cover and cook for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. In a small bowl, combine the flour, allspice, cream and horseradish.
- In the same skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add the vegetables, cream mixture and thyme. Cook and stir until cream mixture is thickened and vegetables are tender. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Winter Vegetables in Taste of Home December/January 2011, p29
Reviews for Zesty Winter Vegetables
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review