Zesty Vegetable Beef Soup Recipe
My family loves to come to the table for hot homemade biscuits and a bowl of this flavorful filling soup. They rave over how good it tastes. A friend shared the recipe with me. -Brenda Wood, Portage la Prairie, Manitoba
- 8 cups water
- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 medium carrots, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, quartered
- 8 whole allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups V8 juice
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup uncooked noodles
- 1. In a Dutch oven or stockpot, bring broth ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Remove ribs; allow to cool. Skim fat and strain broth; discard vegetables and seasonings. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; return to broth. Add the first 10 soup ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Stir in noodles. Return to a boil; cook, uncovered, 15 minutes or until the noodles are tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
1 cup: 136 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 727mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Zesty Vegetable Beef Soup
Reviewed Feb. 3, 2010
"has to be the best soup I ever madeI added 1/2 head cabbage because I love cabbage and everyone loved it...will be making this often"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC