- 8 cups water
- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 medium carrots, quartered
- 2 celery ribs, quartered
- 8 whole allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups V8 juice
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup uncooked noodles
- In a Dutch oven or stockpot, bring broth ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs; allow to cool. Skim fat and strain broth; discard vegetables and seasonings. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; return to broth. Add the first 10 soup ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in noodles. Return to a boil; cook, uncovered, 15 minutes or until the noodles are tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Zesty Vegetable Beef Soup in Taste of Home October/November 1996, p29
Reviews for Zesty Vegetable Beef Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 3, 2010
"has to be the best soup I ever madeI added 1/2 head cabbage because I love cabbage and everyone loved it...will be making this often"