Zesty Turkey Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned Mexican diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno pepper, optional
- Shredded fat-free cheddar cheese, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook the turkey, zucchini and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, pasta, basil, cumin, pepper and jalapeno if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 13-15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Garnish with cheese if desired. Yield: 3 cups.
1 cup (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 143 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 719 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat.