Zesty Turkey Tomato Soup
This chunky soup from Katherine Preiss of Penfield, Pennsylvania is full of flavor...and zip! “If you don’t want as much heat, you can eliminate the jalapeno pepper,” she notes. “To make it vegetarian, I omit the turkey and add a small can of garbanzo beans in the last few minutes of cooking.”
3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup canned Mexican diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno pepper, optional
- Shredded fat-free cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook the turkey, zucchini and onion over medium
- heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, pasta, basil, cumin, pepper and jalapeno
- if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for
- 13-15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Garnish with cheese if
- desired. Yield: 3 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 143 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 719 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat.