Zesty Turkey Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound uncooked turkey breast tenderloin, cubed
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 2/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 jar (15-1/2 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup sliced turkey pepperoni, halved
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 10 ounces uncooked vermicelli
- 1. In a Dutch oven or large kettle, saute the turkey, green pepper, onion and mushrooms in oil until vegetables are tender. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, pepperoni, wine or broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Uncover; simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until thickened. Meanwhile, cook vermicelli according to package directions; drain. Serve with sauce. Yield: 5 servings.
One serving (1 cup sauce with 1 cup vermicelli) equals 428 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 752 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 37 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 3 vegetable, 2-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Zesty Turkey Spaghetti Sauce
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.