My sauce is good for you because it calls for lean cubed turkey instead of meatballs. For extra flavor, I add turkey pepperoni to the sauce, along with green pepper, onion and mushrooms. It's easy to prepare, and the seasonings can be modified to fit anyone's tastes.—Sue Yaeger, Boone, Iowa
Recommended: 50 Skinny Slow Cooker Recipes
- 1 pound uncooked turkey breast tenderloin, cubed
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 2/3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 jar (15-1/2 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup sliced turkey pepperoni, halved
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 10 ounces uncooked vermicelli
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle, saute the turkey, green pepper, onion and mushrooms in oil until vegetables are tender. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, pepperoni, wine or broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Uncover; simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until thickened. Meanwhile, cook vermicelli according to package directions; drain. Serve with sauce. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Turkey Spaghetti Sauce in Light & Tasty February/March 2002, p8
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Zesty Turkey Spaghetti Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review