- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 10 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and sliced green onions, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the next 13 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Tear tortillas into bite-size pieces; add to soup. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes; let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish individual servings with cheese, sour cream and onions if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Zesty Tortilla Soup
Sort By :
"Good wintery soup"
"Really good and a total hit with my husband who usually turns up his nose at soup. I did brown the meat before sauteeing the onions and garlic and I used one can of Rotel with Habaneros as well as a can of Hunt diced tomatoes with jalapenos (we like it spicy at our house) and because of that, left out the hot sauce. Wonderful recipe and will certainly make it again."
"Did add a little more chili powder but it was not overly spicy"