Zesty Tortilla Soup Recipe
Because everyone in our family enjoys Mexican food, we especially find this soup appealing. It has just the right amount of "zip" without being overwhelming.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours YIELD:10 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 10 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and sliced green onions, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the next 13 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
- 2. Tear tortillas into bite-size pieces; add to soup. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes; let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish individual servings with cheese, sour cream and onions if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 267 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 966 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC