- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 10 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and sliced green onions, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the next 13 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Tear tortillas into bite-size pieces; add to soup. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes; let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish individual servings with cheese, sour cream and onions if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Zesty Tortilla Soup
"Very delicious. Very little prep work other than chopping onion and opening cans. Was not overly spicy but had a nice subtle zing. On the list to make again."
"We have this soup about once a week. I use the exact recipe, but add black beans and a small can of corn. It's absolutely delicious and heats up nicely for leftovers."
"Made this with chicken instead. Came out wonderful !!!!"
"It was raining all day and I didn't want to go out so I used what I had on hand for this soup and it turned out so delicious!There are only 2 of us so I halved the recipe. I diced a turkey tenderloin with herb and garlic seasoning and browned before putting in the soup pan. I used a can of diced tomatoes, a can of diced green chilis, an 8 oz can of tomato sauce, an 8 oz can of Mexican salsa. a diced jalapeno without the seeds, the onion, the beef broth,the seasonings, a couple of tsps. of beef bouillon granules and some leftover rice and black beans I found in the freezer. A few splashes of hot sauce and no water. It turned out great with just the right amount of heat for us. This is one of those recipes that lend itself to all kinds of modifications."
"This was delicious and very easy to prepare! Will definitely make it again!"