- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 10 corn tortillas (6 inches)
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and sliced green onions, optional
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the next 13 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Tear tortillas into bite-size pieces; add to soup. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes; let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish individual servings with cheese, sour cream and onions if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Zesty Tortilla Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p19
Reviews for Zesty Tortilla Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 31, 2008
"Did add a little more chili powder but it was not overly spicy"