Jazz up everyday tacos in a snap! Black-eyed peas and a drizzle of Italian dressing are the surprise ingredients that perk up this recipe. —Susie Bonham, Fairview, Oklahoma
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 8 taco shells
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup zesty Italian salad dressing
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Stir in water and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, prepare taco shells according to package directions. Stir
- peas into skillet; heat through. Spoon 1/4 cup beef mixture into
- each taco shell. Top with tomatoes, lettuce and cheese. Drizzle with
- salad dressing. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 taco equals 302 calories, 17 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 933 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein.