Zesty Steak Chili Recipe
- 4 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 2-3/4 cups water, divided
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- Shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, reduced-fat sour cream, sliced green onions and sliced ripe olives, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, saute steak and garlic in oil until browned. Add onion; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in 2 cups water and next nine ingredients; bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours or until tender. Combine flour, cornmeal and remaining water; stir until smooth. Bring chili to a boil. Add flour mixture; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. If desired, garnish with reduced-fat cheese, reduced-fat sour cream, onions and olives. Yield: 20 servings.
One 1-cup serving (prepared with no-salt-added tomato sauce and without additional salt; served without cheese, sour cream, onions and olives) equals 187 calories, 7 g fat (0 saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 155 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 meat, 2 vegetable.