- 4 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 cups chopped onion
- 2-3/4 cups water, divided
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- Shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, reduced-fat sour cream, sliced green onions and sliced ripe olives, optional
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, saute steak and garlic in oil until browned. Add onion; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in 2 cups water and next nine ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours or until tender. Combine flour, cornmeal and remaining water; stir until smooth. Bring chili to a boil. Add flour mixture; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. If desired, garnish with reduced-fat cheese, reduced-fat sour cream, onions and olives. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Steak Chili in Taste of Home October/November 1995, p17
Reviews for Zesty Steak Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 12, 2013
"I have neighbors who insist on having this every fall! I make it numerous times every fall/winter & it freezes nicely. Been our favorite for YEARS!"