Zesty Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 4 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (15 ounces) thick and zesty tomato sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 20 to 25 hamburger buns
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add green pepper. Cook and stir for 5 minutes; drain. Add the next 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve on buns. Yield: 20-25 servings.
Reviews for Zesty Sloppy Joes(7)
Sort By :
Made this and canned in quart jars; this way hubby and I can have sloppy joes anytime we want, just heat & serve.
I made these for the first timeme for supper last night. I'm not much of a sloppy joes eater, but even I thought they were fantastic! They were a big hit with my whole family, including picky teen daughter. Loved the zesty tomato sauce; actually ended up using the Hunt's version made for chili & it was terrific. I'm going to use the leftovers tonight by topping Fritos with the sloppy joe mixture & sprinkling with cheddar cheese, heat, & sprinkle with lettuce & black olives. Thanks for the recipe.
This has been my go to Sloppy Joe recipe for years. I make it for parties quite often and receive huge compliments. The only change I make is sometimes I swap out ground beef for ground turkey.
This worked perfectly for a large backyard function and would definitely make again and again!
I make it every year for a Halloween party... puts canned joe sauce to shame. It's very good.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Ground Beef Sloppy Joe Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Sandwiches >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >