Zesty Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 4 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (15 ounces) thick and zesty tomato sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 20 to 25 hamburger buns
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add green pepper. Cook and stir for 5 minutes; drain. Add the next 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve on buns. Yield: 20-25 servings.
Reviews for Zesty Sloppy Joes
Sort By :
Best sloppy joe recipe ever. This is the only recipe I use. I add an extra pound of ground beef and only use 1 can of soup because I don't like my sloppy joes soupy. All other ingredient measurements I keep the same. I put in crock pot and let simmer all day. Sloppy joes are best when they are simmered all day so flavors can mesh together with the beef.
Made this and canned in quart jars; this way hubby and I can have sloppy joes anytime we want, just heat & serve.
I made these for the first timeme for supper last night. I'm not much of a sloppy joes eater, but even I thought they were fantastic! They were a big hit with my whole family, including picky teen daughter. Loved the zesty tomato sauce; actually ended up using the Hunt's version made for chili & it was terrific. I'm going to use the leftovers tonight by topping Fritos with the sloppy joe mixture & sprinkling with cheddar cheese, heat, & sprinkle with lettuce & black olives. Thanks for the recipe.
This has been my go to Sloppy Joe recipe for years. I make it for parties quite often and receive huge compliments. The only change I make is sometimes I swap out ground beef for ground turkey.
This worked perfectly for a large backyard function and would definitely make again and again!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Ground Beef Sloppy Joe Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Sandwiches >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >