Zesty Sausage & Beans Recipe
Our taste panel raved about this hearty and delicious dish, proclaiming it “classic man food.” Packed with sausage, beans and bacon, it’s guaranteed to satisfy the heftiest appetites at your table. —Melissa Just, Minneapolis
- 2 pounds smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved and sliced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) thick and zesty tomato sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked rice
In a large skillet, brown the sausage. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker; add the beans, tomato sauce, green pepper, onion, bacon, brown sugar, vinegar, garlic, thyme, marjoram and cayenne. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled sausage mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup sausage mixture (calculated without rice) equals 439 calories, 26 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 1,505 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 20 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC