Zesty Sausage & Beans Recipe
- 2 pounds Johnsonville® Polish Kielbasa Sausage or Polish sausage, halved and sliced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) thick and zesty tomato sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker; add the beans, tomato sauce, green pepper, onion, bacon, brown sugar, vinegar, garlic, thyme, marjoram and cayenne. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Serve with rice. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Zesty Sausage & Beans
Sort By :
We all liked it quite well! I never find this "zesty" tomato sauce so I make my own with an 8oz can of tomato sauce, a 6oz can of tomato paste, and water if needed, plus 2 teaspoons of Creole seasoning. I tried 3 this time and it was too spicy for some. Used two 12-oz Polska kielbasa sausages. I browned the sausage in the bacon grease.
I loved this dish (only used 1 lb of sausage). It's one that tastes even better the second day.
Very hearty! I substituted leftover Easter ham for one of the sausages & used only 1 tablespoon cider vinegar instead of 2 as I don't care for the taste of it. Very good recipe, but it does take some time to make it. Oh, and I also used the Rotel Zesty Tomato & Green Chili sauce. Next time, I will probably use regular tomato sauce for a milder taste.
In Feb. before getting answers to what thick and zesty tomato sauce to use for this recipe I decided to use Rotel Zesty Tomato & Green Chili Sauce (Mild). The taste was outstanding! My husband says that recipe is a keeper! I do plan to try the spaghetti sauce and the Contadina tomato sauce. Thanks so much.
I love this recipe the slow cooked smoked sausage with everything tastes delicious with rice. Tastes even better the next day.