- 2 pounds Johnsonville® Polish Kielbasa Split Rope Sausage or Polish sausage, halved and sliced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) thick and zesty tomato sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, brown the sausage. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker; add the beans, tomato sauce, green pepper, onion, bacon, brown sugar, vinegar, garlic, thyme, marjoram and cayenne. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until vegetables are tender. Serve with rice. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Zesty Sausage & Beans
Sort By :
"I loved this dish (only used 1 lb of sausage). It's one that tastes even better the second day."
"Very hearty! I substituted leftover Easter ham for one of the sausages & used only 1 tablespoon cider vinegar instead of 2 as I don't care for the taste of it. Very good recipe, but it does take some time to make it. Oh, and I also used the Rotel Zesty Tomato & Green Chili sauce. Next time, I will probably use regular tomato sauce for a milder taste."
"In Feb. before getting answers to what thick and zesty tomato sauce to use for this recipe I decided to use Rotel Zesty Tomato & Green Chili Sauce (Mild). The taste was outstanding! My husband says that recipe is a keeper! I do plan to try the spaghetti sauce and the Contadina tomato sauce. Thanks so much."
"I love this recipe the slow cooked smoked sausage with everything tastes delicious with rice. Tastes even better the next day."
"To Odessa123 - Contadina makes a sauce that says "Extra Thick and Zesty" on the label. Hope that helps!"