Zesty Salsa Verde Recipe
Last year was the first time I had ever grown tomatillos. They were so abundant that I had enough to eat fresh, give away and freeze for future gatherings. What I didn't expect was how well the salsa would freeze. I do like to add an extra zip by juicing a fresh lime into the salsa after it has thawed. —Kim Banick, Salem, Oregon
- 2 pounds medium tomatillos (about 16), husks removed and halved
- 2 large sweet onions, coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, toss tomatillos, onions, peppers and garlic with oil. Divide mixture between two 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Roast 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
Process tomatillo mixture in a food processor until smooth, adding enough water to reach desired consistency. Add remaining ingredients; pulse just until combined.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled salsa in freezer containers. To use, thaw completely in refrigerator. Yield: 2 cups.
Reviews for Zesty Salsa Verde
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC