Zesty Rice 'N' Bean Casserole Recipe
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese, divided
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet, saute green peppers, mushrooms and onion in water and oil until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes, beans, rice and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 25 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup cheese.
- 3. Transfer to a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 195 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 392 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.