Zesty Rice 'N' Bean Casserole Recipe
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet, saute green peppers, mushrooms and onion in water and oil until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes, beans, rice and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 25 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup cheese.
- Transfer to a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Zesty Rice 'N' Bean Casserole
Sort By :
I forgot to mention that I added different veggies too - 1 red pepper, 1 zucchini, 1/2 bunch broccoli & red onion, and I left out the mushrooms (the fam won't eat them!) I also added a bit more water too, to compensate.
I really enjoyed this recipe, although I did alter it a little. I decreased the spice, mainly because I have 2 little ones and needed to tone it down for them. I also didn't bake it in the oven. I was short on time, so when the rice was done I simply stirred in the cheese until melted and served it like that - it ended up something like a risotto, without all the stirring! I will definitely make it again.