A savory mix of seasonings adds zip to Daphne Blandford's satisfying dish that's loaded with beans, rice, vegetables and cheese. "We enjoy it as a light entree with garlic bread and fresh spinach salad," she notes from Gander, Newfoundland. "It also makes a super side dish at potluck gatherings."
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large nonstick skillet, saute green peppers, mushrooms and onion in water and oil until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes, beans, rice and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 25 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup cheese.
- Transfer to a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Zesty Rice 'N' Bean Casserole in Light & Tasty October/November 2001, p52
Reviews for Zesty Rice 'N' Bean Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review