- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- In a saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Add rice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the beef, onions, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- In the same skillet, cook and stir eggs until set but still moist. Add to meat mixture. Fluff rice with fork. Stir in the rice, mushrooms, soy sauce and hot pepper sauce to meat mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Zesty Oven-Fried Rice
Sort By :
"I had to improvise slightly with this as I had no soy sauce, pepper sauce or mushrooms. I had everything else and here is what I did. I followed the recipe up until when I had to add the soy/pepper sauce. At that point, I added three packets of Old El Paso Taco Seasoning. Three was too much as it ended up on the spicy side but two would have been perfect. However, it turned out VERY nice indeed. I'm going to use another egg next time. Egg is a lovely touch and a tad more would be great. The rice ended up very soft and the meat nice and tender. Actually, everything ended up very tender!! I'm not even sure I want to go back and try it with soy/pepper sauce. I'm absolutely delighted with how it turned out using the taco seasoning and will be making it again next weekend."
"I used mushroom soy sauce which can be purchased in Oriental stores."