Zesty Orange Beef Recipe
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1-1/2 pounds), cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 3 dried hot chilies
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-3/4 cups fresh snow peas
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. Place beef in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Add the mushrooms, onion, and chilies. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar, cornstarch, ginger, oil and garlic. Pour over meat.
- 2. Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender, adding snow peas during the last 30 minutes of cooking. Stir in orange peel. Serve with rice. Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup (calculated without rice) equals 310 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 554 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 33 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.